About U3A Bermagui
U3A Bermagui & District Inc aims to provide further learning opportunities to all in their third age, which is defined not by a particular age (there are no age restrictions) but by a period in life when full time employment has ceased. U3A Bermagui is a shared learning experience where people who have a passion for a topic of interest can share it with others in the community.
From its small beginning in Beauty Point in 2009 with an initial enrolment of fewer than 50 members, U3A Bermagui is an energetic organisation of more than 300 members, large enough to be able to offer a wide range of activities developed in the local and surrounding areas yet still small enough to retain its community feeling.
We offer classes, courses and excursions across a broad range of interests and leaders provide their time without charge. Due to Corona virus restrictions we are currently offering online courses via the Zoom platform. We look forward to resuming our standard offering of day courses at the Community Centre in Bermagui, other local venues and member’s homes in the near future. In 2019, we offered over 150 classes to more than 300 members.
We attract members from Bermagui and the surrounding “triangle” towns of Cobargo, Quaama and Tilba as well as the villages of Cuttagee, Beauty Point and Wallaga Lake and our neighbour Narooma. We also have a number of members who visit the area for holidays.
What is U3A
U3A stands for the University of the Third Age. Do not be confused about the use of the word ‘University’. We are part of a world-wide movement where people in their Third age (retirement), teach others what they have learnt in their Second age (working life). For example, someone who has worked as a journalist can teach others about how to write articles for newspapers.
For more information on the U3A movement, visit the U3A Australia site.
The U3A Committee meets on the last Monday of the month at 10.00am in the Boardroom of the Bermagui Country Club.
The Committee members for 2020 are:
|President:||Ruth Perrett||0408 786 546|
|Vice President:||Jan Rivers||0409 901 672|
|Secretary:||Elizabeth Johnson||6493 5800 / 0499 818 454|
|Treasurer / Mship:||Greg Smith||0457 328 157|
|Program Coordinator:||Wendy Tucker||0403 587 091|
|IT Coordinator:||David Monro||0412 525 743|
|General Members:||Bev Holland||0408 280 024|
|Anthony Judge||6493 4477 / 0438 514 518|
|Bruce Leaver||0409 385 839|
|Jane Martin||0412 135 301|
|George Stone||0412 390 110|
|Di Webster||0484 065 308|
Annual General Meeting
The 10th Annual General Meeting of U3A Bermagui & District Inc will be held on Wednesday, 24 March 2021 at 2pm at the Bermagui Surf Life Saving Club. The purpose of the AGM is to receive reports from the President, the Treasurer and Program Coordinator; to present a Special Resolution to alter the 2018 Constitution and to announce the committee members for the remainder of 2021.
Due to COVID restrictions it is essential that you RSVP either by phone or email to the Secretary so that an electronic attendance list can be produced for contact tracing if necessary.
6493 5800 (you may leave a message)
- To use the skills and abilities of the members themselves, but with no motive of personal gain.
- There are no qualifications for membership, and no awards, degrees or diplomas will be given.
- The emphasis is on learning for enjoyment and includes an emphasis on the values of improving skills and knowledge.
- Learning takes place in a friendly, supportive, social environment.
- The U3A program is determined by the needs/preferences of members and according to the resources available to it.
- The association will be financed principally by membership fees, and grants for specific projects.
- Members are encouraged to either voluntarily teach or to offer themselves in other ways to assist in the operation of the association.
- To be at all times, non-political, secular and non-sectarian in our approach.