About U3A Bermagui
U3A Bermagui & District Inc aims to provide further learning opportunities to all in their third age, which is defined not by a particular age (there are no age restrictions) but by a period in life when full time employment has ceased. U3A Bermagui is a shared learning experience where people who have a passion for a topic of interest can share it with others in the community.
From its small beginning in Beauty Point in 2009 with an initial enrolment of fewer than 50 members, U3A Bermagui is an energetic organisation of more than 300 members, large enough to be able to offer a wide range of activities developed in the local and surrounding areas yet still small enough to retain its community feeling.
We offer classes, courses and excursions across a broad range of interests and leaders provide their time without charge. Due to Corona virus restrictions we offered online courses via the Zoom platform in 2020. We are resuming our standard offering of day courses at the Community Centre in Bermagui, other local venues and member’s homes in Term 2 2021. In 2019, we offered over 150 classes to more than 300 members.
We attract members from Bermagui and the surrounding “triangle” towns of Cobargo, Quaama and Tilba as well as the villages of Cuttagee, Beauty Point and Wallaga Lake and our neighbour Narooma. We also have a number of members who visit the area for holidays.
What is U3A
U3A stands for the University of the Third Age. Do not be confused about the use of the word ‘University’. We are part of a world-wide movement where people in their Third age (retirement), teach others what they have learnt in their Second age (working life). For example, someone who has worked as a journalist can teach others about how to write articles for newspapers.
For more information on the U3A movement, visit the U3A UK site.
The U3A Committee meets on the last Monday of the month at 10.00am usually in the Bermagui Community Centre.
The Committee members for 2021 are:
|President:||Ruth Perrett||0408 786 546|
|Vice President:||Jan Rivers||0409 901 672|
|Secretary:||Elizabeth Johnson||6493 5800 / 0499 818 454|
|Treasurer:||Carolyn||0421 606 463|
|Program Coordinator:||Jan Rivers||0409 901 672|
|IT & Membership:||David Monro||0412 525 743|
|General Members:||Bev Holland||0408 280 024|
|Anthony Judge||6493 4477 / 0438 514 518|
|Bruce Leaver||0400 374 927|
|Jane Martin||0412 135 301|
|George Stone||0412 390 110|
|Wendy Tucker||0421 606 463|
|Di Webster||0484 065 308|
Annual General Meeting
The 10th Annual General Meeting of U3A Bermagui & District Inc was held on Wednesday, 24 March 2021 at 2pm online via Zoom. The meeting elected new office bearers for 2021 and adopted some changes to the constitution. See below for the updated constitution document.
- To use the skills and abilities of the members themselves, but with no motive of personal gain.
- There are no qualifications for membership, and no awards, degrees or diplomas will be given.
- The emphasis is on learning for enjoyment and includes an emphasis on the values of improving skills and knowledge.
- Learning takes place in a friendly, supportive, social environment.
- The U3A program is determined by the needs/preferences of members and according to the resources available to it.
- The association will be financed principally by membership fees, and grants for specific projects.
- Members are encouraged to either voluntarily teach or to offer themselves in other ways to assist in the operation of the association.
- To be at all times, non-political, secular and non-sectarian in our approach.